..

mardi 31 mars 2015

[Q] SIM not read after screen replacement topic


As we all know, the phone is pretty darn well put together and surprisingly durable. But, unfortunately, it is not invincible. About a month and a half ago I cracked my screen. The phone had a case, but it wasn't anything hefty (the HTC Double Dip case). The phone was still completely usable, but I like the phone and wanted to keep it nice so I decided to replace the screen. I ordered the screen + framework assembly and it was about . In the past when I have replaced screens on a few iPhones and an ASUS tablet the parts were quite a bit cheaper, but whatever. My phone is the black model, but I decided to try something different and ordered the new part with red speaker grills. Most guides and such said that the M7 is a pretty hard phone to repair, but I have worked on a couple other phones before, so I gave it a go. After many, many hours of carefully prying apart the phone and transplanting the logic boards to the new screen framework I put it all back together and powered it up. To my surprise the phone powered up and the screen worked fine. (And let me tell you the red and black looks damn good). The first thing I noticed was that vibration didn't work. A bit annoying, but the phone looked good enough that I could get past that. Next I tested the speakers and noticed that at full volume the speakers sound a little bit messed up. Again, a little annoying, but I'm not a professional so I wasn't overly disappointed. Then came the real problem...
THE REAL PROBLEM:
When I put the SIM card in the phone didn't detect it. After a reboot it still didn't detect it. After a factory restore it still didn't detect it. Perhaps the ribbon cable connecting the SIM reader to the board was not all the way secured? After how hard it was to take the phone apart the first time I was not a fan of the idea of doing it again. But alas, the next day I opened the phone back up super carefully so not to damage the new parts. It was thankfully a little bit easier the second time. I made sure the SIM reader was all the way connected, but the phone still wouldn't read the SIM. I pulled the old SIM reader out from the old screen framework assembly and plugged it into the board, but the SIM was still not detected, indicating that the new screen did not come with a bad SIM reader. Has this problem happened to anyone else? What steps should I take? I now have really nice looking M7 that is essentially useless.

xda-developers