..

jeudi 19 mars 2015

[Q] What android devices do you use for your media needs (also what configurations)? topic


Hi everyone, I hope I am not asking this in the wrong forum but I don't really see where else it would fit as I am asking specifically about android devices.
So here is my question: What android devices (tablets/phones/PMP's/TV boxes/whatever has android on it) do you use for your media needs (music/video/etc) and how have you configured them/what apps/mods/accessories do you use to get the best of what you use them for? Would also be interested to know how well you think they behave in what you use them for (note: only talking about how they perform for their media purpose here)?

Here are mine:

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Purpose: Listening to music
Apps used: Sony Walkman
Mods used: Viper4Android; Ultimate Kernel (to have the Wolfson DAC enabled)
Accessories used: urBeats from my old HTC phone
Behavior: In my opinion it delivers a pretty good experience, the sound is very clear and no stuttering even on FLAC files and under heavy usage (gaming while listening to music) and it sounds "just as it should" I didn't even do much in Viper4Android because of that, I am mostly using it only when listening to some songs that I think sound a bit off on whatever device I listen to them.

Device: Onda v975m
Purpose: Watching movies, videos on the go (in the past also at home on the TV via HDMI but unfortunately HDMI is broken on android 5.x right now on this device)
Apps used: Kodi, MX Player and VLC
Behavior: This device behaves perfectly even if I throw some 45GB blu-ray iso files at it, not video/sound lagging issues, although the GPU sounds rather weak (being a mali 450) it still does a great job on video playback, so much that I would call this tablet a "media" tablet, I can agree it doesn't behave perfectly on other types of usage (although I didn't notice any lag even when playing some heavy games on it or it was so minor that I just was too concentrated at the game to notice so I really can't complain) it does seem as if this tablet was just made for exactly the purpose of playing video files on it. Also the sound is pretty ok in my opinion but the placement of the 2 speakers is really uninspired in my opinion (you can't really watch movies/videos in portrait mode so you will loose the stereo effect if you want to use the speakers) fortunately I don't use them too much as when I am on a train or at school or wherever and want to watch something on my tablet I use headphones so that doesn't bother me too much. About the screen I can say that it is a great screen (expected from a retina screen?) and it gives great viewing angles and great colors. Battery life for media playback is pretty ok, I get about 6-7H of usage out of it and that is more than enough even on the train where in worst case scenario the train is 1H late so the whole train trip ends up taking 7H.

Thank you for reading and I can't wait to hear what devices you use for media purposes and your opinions about them.

xda-developers